Except that I couldn't get the shutter speed to change. It was 'stuck' on 1/160. I kept turning the command dial and nothing happened.
All my action photos looked like this (actually, they looked worse - these are the best of the lot):
| 1/160, f/10, ISO 200, 120mm |
| 1/160, f/10, ISO 200, 60mm |
Since this is an old camera, I was panicked that there was something fundamentally wrong with the camera and my DSLR was bound for the scrap heap. I was so desperate I even *gasp* downloaded the manual. Yeah, yeah, how many times have I muttered "Read The F**king Manual, moron" under my breath at hapless users? Alas, the manual had the helpful advice of 'set the mode dial to 'S', set your shutter speed with the command dial and take your picture'. I kept turning the command dial and NOTHING! Ahhhh! Scrap heap for sure! On a whim, I googled 'D70 shutter priority, can't change shutter speed'.
And the heavens opened. Seriously. I think I heard angels singing. Apparently there is a setting in the menus that allows you to use the 'multi-selector button' in place of the command dial (at this point, there should be no question as to why I got the less complicated P520), and yes, my camera was set up to have the multi-selector button change the shutter speed. I changed it back to the command dial and all is right with the universe. (Of course, this all happened after I had come inside, so action photos on the D70 will have to wait for another day.)
But in looking through the manual for the shutter priority setting information, I came across about a zillion other settings the D70 has that I don't understand, and many that I could inadvertently change.
Such as focus. It is possible to lock the auto-focus into one of several different positions (center, top, bottom, left, right), and if you DON'T lock the auto-focus, it is quite possible to move the focus around. Which is why in this photo, Abby's ear is in excellent focus, while her snooter isn't.
| 1/160, f/5.6, ISO 200, 120mm |
| 1/160, f/5.6, ISO 250, 120mm |
And hey, at 1/160 shutter speed, I can still get some decent portraits.
| 1/160, f/7.1, ISO 200, 80mm |
| 1/30, f/3.8, ISO 1000, 48mm |
If you need me, I'll be one reading the manual. For both cameras.
No comments:
Post a Comment