#1. The Tripod Is My Friend
Yes, every photography book, website and article says 'use your tripod for sharp photos'. Sure. Makes sense. Except that it means that you actually have to find the tripod, set up the tripod, and adjust the camera to make sure you are getting what you want. Given then I have been a 'turn on the camera and push the button' sort of photographer for my entire life, the extra steps of the tripod have heretofore seemed a bit overwhelming.
And while using a tripod is still not second-nature, it is clearly worth the time to set it up.
| 0.769s, f/4.1, ISO 80, 100mm |
| 1/2, f/3.8, ISO 80, 28mm |
| 1/160, f/8.3, ISO 400, 60mm |
The last photo, maybe I could have taken it without the tripod, but given that it was 14F out when I took the photo, I was able to take several photos with several different settings (to see what the differences would be) without inadvertently changing my angle. Very handy.
#2. Action Photos Should Be Taken With a Shutter-Priority Setting NOT an Aperture-Priority Setting.
Yes, I know this should be patently obviously to even the most casual of camera users. But for some reason I've been shooting with an aperture-priority setting hoping something good would happen (don't ask my why, although I'm going to justify it by saying that the light has generally been flat/varied, and I somehow thought the aperture setting would help with the light). Yeah, not so much.
Cases in point:
From a distance (like if you don't biggify it), it is not a horrible picture. But the point of focus isn't very in focus if you look at it closely. Because aperture affects depth of field as well as the amount of light let in. So when I use the zoom for an action photo in an aperture-priority setting, the chance of my subject being really sharp is nil. Duh.
| 1/800, f/4.2, ISO 80, 105mm |
| 1/1600, f/4.2, ISO 400, 120mm |
| 1/2000, f/4, ISO 400, 85mm |
Will using the shutter-priority setting cure all that ails me? Probably not, but I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. This is, after all, a learning process.
Which means more frisbee time for my "long-suffering" doggies. *grin*
| 1/8, f/3.6, ISO 400, 50mm |
Oh yes, indeed, the tripod makes all the difference. I have two, a floor model, and a wee little table top one. I use mine primarily for videos (much better than trying to teach the Mr. how to use the camera), but with Dexter it is hard to keep him in the frame.
ReplyDeleteMango Momma