Monday, November 17, 2014

Pre-Packaged Presets and a Self-Made Alpenglow Preset

By the time I got home this afternoon, the sun had gone behind our hillside, and even adjusting my camera's somewhat finicky ISO and less finicky white balance, my photos were blue.

Not exactly optimal, even with in-camera adjustments.
There are a number of ways to deal with the blue of snow, most of which end up making the images look a little off.  Since these photos were quite blue, I decided I'd just go with purposely stylizing the photos.

Interesting; it doesn't grab me, but it's not blue!
I played around with a bunch of free presets that I have, and while you'll see the results of some of them in later photos, I ended up creating my own preset, where I warmed things up quite a bit.  It's still rather stylized, but it does capture the 'alpineglow' and the snow is fairly snowy looking.  And it was a good experiment in creating presets.


Here are a few other tweaked photos.  Yes, they are stylized, but since that was the point, I'm okay with it, and rather like some of them.

A 'gritty' version of my Alpenglow preset.

Something out of a 1950's Japanese monster movie!

More Alpenglow
 
More old photo, less Godzilla...

Yep, more Alpenglow - I like it when I want to have some sky/mountains in the background.



Pink tongue and pink frisbee!

Surprisingly accurate coloring.
For those of you who are saying, "Gee, I don't see the problem with your ISO setting - it looks fine to me," let me just say that on the web the photos look fine, but when I 'pixel peep' (blow them up to full size) they are very grainy and lack a lot of definition.  So they are fine for web posting, and okay in printing 8x10s (although not spectacular), but nothing more than that.  But, I'm really not complaining - it was a good excuse to use some of the presets I have and experiment with making my own.

Day 322/365.

No comments:

Post a Comment