I am taking a Canon SX730 HS for a 'test drive' (I can return it if I don't like it), and I'm not certain what I think about it. It's got a 40x optical zoom, which is pretty cool but the lens is a little soft - or possibly I don't have it set up correctly.
I did get a couple of photos with it that I really did like:
 |
| This was at about half-way to the full 40x optical zoom. By far the best photo of the lot. |
 |
| This is about 30x optical zoom. Softer than I would like but it might have been because of the aperture priority setting, or me not really figuring out how to pick a focal point. |
 |
| This is fine, but it's not really a zoomed in photo, which was the point of the camera. |
 |
| And this just amused me. |
There were other photos that I was not impressed with:
 |
| Full zoom; I had a hard time finding/keeping the balloon in focus (it was REALLY far away), so that might be part of the problem. |
 |
| Very soft at 40x zoom, but I had a hard time holding it steady to lock in the focus. |
So, I dunno. There's a Nikon Coolpix A1000 that has 35x optical zoom (so, a bit less than the Canon), but it does shoot RAW photos. I think I'm going to test-drive the Nikon at the same time (they are in the same price range ~$350), and keep the one I like better. I definitely like having a big zoom in a little camera - and the Panasonic is only a 10x optical zoom (it's a nice camera, but I am discovering that I would like even more zoom-ability than I've got).
But, I want to keep trying the Canon out too, to see if I can dial it in a bit more. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment