Friday, March 21, 2014

Stem Cell Research

Today is one of those wildly long days at work (who, other than a doctor who is on call all weekend, would schedule a 4pm meeting on a Friday?), so I brought the P520 to work, figuring I'd need a mental health break and go out and take some pictures.  I was walking around and got a few shots, but nothing that really 'grabbed' me; I just wasn't 'seeing' today.  Which may have something to do with just taking pictures of the dogs - I need to broaden my 'vision', which is actually what these long days at work force me today.

As I walked past the Health Sciences bookstore, I saw that they had Giant Microbes on sale.  I LOVE Giant Microbes.   And I remembered seeing a photo exercise where someone had a stuffed animal and they used it for the 'focus' of a whole bunch of different photos in different settings.  So I thought, "Gee, why don't I get a Giant Microbe and see what I can do with it?"  I ended up choosing a stem cell (because they can go anywhere! Heehee... Little joke there...) and decided to get it started in research.

Stem cell involved with bench science!

More bench science with stem cells.

Stem cells can't escape statistical analysis!
Yeah, so, I amused myself.  And I've got a fun prop for when I need to be a little silly.

The photos I took that just didn't grab me?  Here are a couple...

Heavily tweaked and I'm still not 100% happy with it. As a piece of trivia, that stone was placed on the university campus in 1919 to identify the first building on campus devoted entirely to medicine.  

One of the buildings in Fort Douglas.  Just not wildly exciting.

Tree just starting to bud.
Given those last three photos, you can maybe see why I went with the giant stem cell!

Day 80/365.

1 comment:

  1. How were you able to pass by those books without grabbing them and reading?
    OK, nerd stuff. Great focus, though.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete