Friday, March 14, 2014

The Least-Worst of Today's Photos

Today was not one of my more successful photographic days.  This was my first day using two off-camera flashes, and after having taken a bunch of photos in the living room with all sorts of distracting stuff in the background, I thought it would be a good idea to shoot against a blank wall.

Except that we don't have a lot of blank walls that don't have windows on them, or mirrors, or other weird lighting issues.  So I had this *brilliant* idea to use the landing on the stairs from the main floor to the top floor; no direct sunlight but plenty of ambient light, a blank wall - perfect.  Right?  Yeah, well, by the time I got two light stands with umbrellas on the landing, plus two dogs, and me, well, there wasn't a whole lot of room for maneuvering.  I couldn't really adjust the flash levels easily (manual flashes), nor could I actually move the lighting around.

Definitely not one of my better ideas.

Oh well.  Tomorrow is another day...  And maybe somewhere in the house there is a blank section of wall that does not involve a stair landing.  Or maybe I'll figure out an inexpensive backdrop set up.  Or maybe I'll just learn to live with 'distractions' in the background....  Until then, here are the least-worst of today's photos.


This one came out surprisingly well, even though (or possibly because)  Fi was only partially in the line of one light source....

Yeah, not exactly what I was hoping for...

Kind of interesting, but another case of not exactly what I was going for.

Heehee.  This one is by far the least worst of the 'Sisters' photos.   The natives were getting a little restless at this point!

This was a little more of what I was trying to get - except that I couldn't physically get to the flash on the left, so I couldn't adjust it, and thus half of Fi's face is a little darker than the other half....
Day 73/365.

No comments:

Post a Comment