Thursday, May 22, 2014

A Tale of Two Lenses

Having used pretty much nothing but the f/1.8 50mm and f/2.8-4.0 24-85mm lenses (both considered to be 'fast' lenses), I though I would try the f/3.5-5.6 28-70mm kit lens that came with the D70, to see if the 'fast' lenses were really better (sharper) than the kit lens.

In a word, yes.  I shot a bunch of photos with the kit lens, and then when I was looking at them on the computer, I was not particularly happy with them, so I got a few more photos with the 24-85mm lens, and I noticed a huge difference in action photo sharpness (and in the number of photos that came out well; I got a couple good photos with the kit lens, quite a bit more good photos with the 'fast' lens).

Here's a few with the kit lens:

This was the best photo, by far, using the kit lens.



The 'fast' lens:





Clearly the kit lens isn't horrible, but I don't really see the point in using it when I've got a better lens.  And my curiosity is now satisfied - good 'glass' is definitely worth it!

Day 142/365.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, don't have to wonder now. So . . . when will you be having a show?

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    Pee Ess - We have a POTP update for our furiend Abby who crossed the bridge.

    ReplyDelete