Monday, May 19, 2014

I've Been in a Bit of a Rut

Action photos, pretty much by definition, are all different.  However, I have been well aware of the fact that for the past couple of weeks (other than my day at Red Butte Garden), I've done the same thing every day: take out camera with 24-85mm lens, set it on shutter-priority (usually at 1/4000 sec if it is sunny out), throw tennis balls/frisbees, push the shutter release, rinse and repeat.   All of which is fine - I've gotten some good action photos of the girls - but I've fallen into a bit of a rut.  I recognized it, I just couldn't figure out what to do about it.

However, an email from my father today might help kick me out of the rut.  He was asking some questions about my 50mm f/1.8 lens, and why I was using the 24-85mm lens instead.  While one answer could have been, "I need to zoom in and out for the best action photos" the honest answer is just that it was easy to pick up the camera with the zoom lens on it, and go out.   Of course, putting it into words has prompted me to swap out lenses on the camera; I think I'm going to use each of the four lenses (two that came with the old D70 kit, and the 50mm and the 24-85mm 'fast' lenses) on separate days to see what I get.  I haven't even used the telephoto lens that came with the D70 - it will likely be 'too much' for backyard tennis ball action, but it will be interesting to see what I get with the various lenses.

Of course, this revelation came after I took today's action photos.  But that's okay, and thanks Dad, for asking a few questions that have helped to bump me out of my mental rut!









Day 139/365.

1 comment:

  1. Ruts must be challenged! Sometimes we feel like we are shooting the same thing over and over but since our "equipment" is limited to mom's cell phone we don't feel so bad lol!!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete