Friday, May 23, 2014

Outdoor Off-Camera Flash on a Cloudy Day

We finished our bike ride in a light rain, and when we go home and the girls and I went outside (in a very light rain) to chase tennis balls, I elected to leave the camera inside.  But then we went out on the front porch, with a single off-camera flash and a small soft box.  I really like how these pictures came out!  The more I use the flash outside, the more I like the effect - it really brightens up the girls without losing the feel of the weather.


It actually was pretty dark out, and I love how the flash lit Abby up while still keeping the dark skies.



Somedoggie looks like she's going to need a haircut soon!

And some other doggie is perpetually goofy!
For those of you who (Dad) know I'm playing around with lenses, these were all shot with the 24-85mm  f/2.4-4.0 lens, on the manual setting with a shutter speed of 1/100 and the aperture at f/10.  I did play around with the power level on the flash (anywhere from 1/4 power to 7/8 power) - which is why some of the photos are brighter than others (and in the case of the last photo, the flash was left of the camera; that was not entirely intentional, but my subjects tend to move around to get best access to the treats!).

Day 143/356.

No comments:

Post a Comment