Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Using the 'Nifty Fifty'

As part of my 'breaking out of a rut' I decided to swap out lenses.  Today I used the 50mm (aka 'Nifty Fifty') and it was a bit of a shock to the system.  On a sunny day (like today) when I use the 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0, I can just set the shutter speed at 1/4000 sec and not worry about the aperture; because I'm usually zoomed out a bit, the aperture ends up around f/4.0 and all is fine.

With the 50mm f/1.8, even at 1/4000 second on shutter priority, the camera still puts the aperture around f/2.0  Which gave me a lot of over-exposed photos, and a wildly shallow depth of field.  I ended up adjusting the exposure in Lightroom on the pictures taken in the sun, so that I'd have a few usable photos (which is why I shoot in RAW format...).








The lens does produce killer bokeh!



So, rather than switching to another lens tomorrow, I think I'm going to stick with the 50mm and put it on the manual setting so I can get the fast shutter speed, and close the aperture up a little bit (not a lot - probably somewhere around f/4.0-6.0) and see how that works.  But this was a good experiment as it is stimulating the mentals!

Day 140/365.

No comments:

Post a Comment