Sunday, August 10, 2014

It's Tough to Juggle With no Thumbs (and a not-so-super Moon)

Fi is not amused...


Actually, Fi had a grand time, thumbs or no.  So did Abby.






"Back off, Hippobottomus; I'm the older sister - I can have two tennis balls if I want!"  Heehee!

On to the 'super moon'. Well, sort of super moon, and the people at Space.com have some issues surrounding the title 'super moon'.  Whether you consider today's full moon a 'super moon' or not, my moon photos were taken last night, when the moon hadn't yet become a full moon (but the moonrise tonight gets close to my bedtime, so no moon photos tonight!).  But it was close enough for some photos.

Anyhoo, a couple of interesting things I discovered shooting the moon last night:

1) the 85-300mm kit telephoto lens we have is not as sharp as the 55-200mm telephoto lens we have

85-300mm lens.  Bigger moon, but not very sharp.

55-200mm lens.  Not as big, but much sharper.
 2)  When you focus on the moon with the 'infinity'  distance setting, everything else goes out of focus very quickly!

This photo was cropped - the moon was actually in the center of the shot, but it is more interesting this way, I think.
Anyway, I had fun shooting the moon again last night.  I still think it would be fun to rent a 'super telephoto lens' - something that goes up to 500 or 600mm - and see what sort of shots of the moon I can get.  One of these years!

Day 222/365.

No comments:

Post a Comment