No moose photos today, as both moose (our neighborhood moose) were close enough that they wanted to keep an eye on the dogs (although not so close that the dogs were bugging the moose).
But speaking of not being close enough, I have decided that since I see lots of things on the walk that are farther away than my current little camera can zoom into, I used some AmEx rewards points (thanks, solar panels for giving us lots of rewards points!) to get a new-to-me Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100. The little camera I have right now is a Lumix DMC-LX10. So, the new-to-me camera is in the same family of little cameras, but it has a 10x optical zoom, so 27-270mm compared to the 3x optical zoom my current camera has.
I'm not going to get rid of my current camera - my current camera has a maximum aperture of f/1.4, which I really like, while the telephoto little camera only has a maximum aperture of f/2.8. For close in stuff, the current little camera is going to be better, but for the "interesting stuff up on the hillside photos" the telephoto camera will be better. Which camera will I carry with me more often? I'm not sure - I'll have to see how much I like the telephoto camera - but I'll probably switch between the two. We'll see. If I don't like the telephoto camera, I'll send it back. Hopefully I'll have the camera late this upcoming week, and then maybe you'll start seeing some zoomed-in, rather than cropped-in photos of faraway things!
In the meantime, here's a some close-in pebble on a rock. I don't doubt that the pebbles were there on purpose, but I didn't think a lot about the composition - I was a little worried that one of our moose friends might sneak up on us.
I actually like this one the best, with the hill and the mountains and sky in the background, but my father has been suggesting that I play around with different cropping, so here's the original, and then there is this same photo cropped different, and a different photo also cropped in more closely.
![]() |
| I think the sky and mountains give it context, but the whole point of this exercise is to play around with new things. |
![]() |
| And closer crop with a different photo. |
Not everything needs a telephoto lens!




No comments:
Post a Comment