I tried a few different things today, with varying degrees of success. The first was to try using the on-camera flash for fill-light outside. Since we are at that time of year where the shadows are starting to cross the yard earlier and earlier, and I can't always juggle the reflector and the camera while still getting used to the back button focus, I thought I'd try it. While the results weren't totally horrible, I think I can safely say this will not be the first thing on my 'go-to' list when I'm trying to get some fill light...
 |
| Too flat looking for me. |
 |
| Better, but probably because the lens was on the wider-angle end of the zoom. |
 |
| Better with more exposure compensation, and while this is cropped, the wide-angle end of the lens is clearly better. |
I like the idea of an on-camera fill light, but I wonder if I might be better served to try it with a separate flash (although it will make the camera heavier, and might make the back button focus more of a challenge). Anything, something to continue working on.
Also, since Fall is upon us, I thought I'd try some back-lit photos, because, during the work-week I'm probably going to end up with more backlighting as the days get shorter...
These photos are more interesting now that I know I can get the eyes in focus.
Since I spent a lot of time outside with the girls, I also got a bunch of direct-sunlight action photos.
 |
| Doodle Launcher is in good working order. |
 |
| Zombie dog going after tennis balls. |
 |
| Classic diagonal stretch. |
 |
| Doodle Launcher still working. |
 |
| This one I actually like because of the shadow on the ground! |
And finally, I took a few shots in full shadow with a little help from my little reflector (which actually requires sunlight to use, which could make it a bit of a challenge in a month or two when the sun sets behind the hill at 4pm...).
 |
| As an aside, I learned how to make dog noses not look blue when they are really black. This is a good thing. |
 |
| Regal Doodle (you might notice the faint hint of light on her face from the reflector - again, sun makes the reflector work better!) |
That last photo reminds me of the crouching Anubis statue found in Tutankhamen's tomb (not my image) :
 |
| Other than the ears and lack of tennis ball, that could totally be Fi. |
Day 267/365.
No comments:
Post a Comment