Sunday, September 21, 2014

More Adventures with Back Button Focusing

Since I really like the results with being able to focus on the girls' eyes with a consistency I have not experienced until encountering 'back button focusing' (and when it comes to dog photography it is really All About The Eyes), I'm going to stick with it for a while and see if I can master it. For the record, I've been sticking with the 50mm for a couple of reasons: 1) not having to think about zooming in/out removes a level of difficulty from the whole process of trying to remember to focus with the button on the back, and 2) it's the biggest aperture lens I've got (f/1.8) and it allows for some really shallow depth-of-field shots.

I really like the portraits I got today.  Fi wasn't interested in modeling on the couch, and I don't ever push it, but Abby was totally up for giving me pitiful looks (which work really well with the whole shallow depth-of-field thing).

Woe is me.  Woe, I tell you!

Poor me. I have to sit on the couch and be fed treats.  Yes, I could get up from the couch, but that is So Much Work....

People think this is so easy.  They don't know how hard it is to look this pitiful!




It rained on and off today (which could explain Abby's pitiful looks), but the girls were able to get out and get some tennis ball action in, and I was able to practice action photos with back button focus (the biggest challenge is keeping the button pushed to focus while also remembering to actual press the shutter release...)



When I remember to do everything properly, I do get some very sharp photos.


And some great ear flappage!







Outside, Fi was willing to pose for a few portraits.



So far, so good!

Day 264/365.

No comments:

Post a Comment