Friday, October 17, 2014

Fill Light with an iTTL Flash

I have been playing around with my iTTL (intelligent Through The Lens) flash; rather than a manual flash, this works with the camera settings and the light sensor to help figure out the strength of the flash.  Let's just say that RTFM (read the fabulous* manual) is an acronym I should probably follow.  Which is on my to-do list for this weekend.

Since my non-manual-reading results were promising, I think if I actually learn how to use all the features, this will be a handy tool for adding fill light outside.



This one cracks me up - there was something rustling in the bushes on the hillside, and Fi was rather interested in the rustling.  We never did discover the source of the rustling.




In the shadows, the fill light definitely works.  However, I didn't quite have the hang of it in brighter light - the girls came out okay, but the background got really blown out and I'm not sure why.  Which brings us back to reading the manual....



In other news, I think I've figured out which photos I'm going to submit for this week's homework assignment.  I'll post them tomorrow, with the explanations of why I've picked what I've picked.

Day 290/365.

*'fabulous' is not generally how the 'F' in that acronym is interpreted, but I've sanitized this - my Mother reads this!  Hi Mom!

1 comment:

  1. I just read about fill lighting this evening! Also finished reading the fabulous manual. Finally got a delivery day . . . Monday! Soon I might have a clue what you're talking about lol!

    Your Pals,

    MURPHY AND STANLEY

    ReplyDelete