Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Reminder to Self: This is a Learning Process

I have a  few observations as I try to get photos together for my homework assignment:

  1.   Even though I spend more time shooting outside in natural light than inside, I generally like my indoor shots better.  This probably has to do with the fact that I really like using reflectors outside.  Which, of course, is part of the point of this exercise – to learn to see light without modifiers.  Even the instructor admits this is probably the hardest assignment of the class, which is something.
  2. I need to learn a lot more about modifying color tones and saturations in Photoshop.  Luckily, this is doable via the magic of YouTube.
  3. I am dithering about what photos I want to submit.  Yes, I have until next Sunday (or if our home internet is still wonky, until next Friday), but I go from thinking I have a couple of great shots to thinking nothing I have is good enough.  I need to remind myself that this is a class, and the whole point of the class is to get feedback so I can get better.  And, I need to look at each day’s photos and figure out what I can do better, so at least by the end of the week I have learned from my shots earlier in the week (trying not to cut off heads, looking at what is in the background, etc., etc.).
  4. In short, I need to keep reminding myself this is a class, and it is a learning process.  *sheesh* 

Anyhoo, I took some indoor shots today, and some outside shots today.  And I spent a lot of time being critical about backgrounds, and focus points and things.  Which isn’t all bad.

I like this one, but there aren't really any 'catch lights' in Abby's eyes.  I'll have to see how it looks once I'm done editing in Photoshop.

Again, not spectacular catch lights, but I generally like the shot.

Too shallow a depth of field.  Or too long a snooter.  I think the depth of field thing is easier to fix!

Again, a little too shallow on the depth of field, and not much eye-contact.

Not one that I'm going to actively submit, but I am trying desperately to get a photo of Abby 'roaching' (rolling around on her back) where I get a sharp, goofy face.

Front foot cut off, only one eye in good light, but I like shots like this.  I may need to try some more running shots to see what I get.

Alas, the eye isn't completely in focus, but I love the looking out the window thing - and this has great catch lights!

This is a potential candidate, other than Fi seems to have a bit of a severed head look about her.  I'll probably try this one again.


I think I will ultimately go with the photos I like (which are not necessarily the technically best photos, but aren’t bad), and see what the instructor thinks of my choices.  But I'll keep working on taking the shots I have and trying to get better ones until it's time to submit the assignment.

Day 279/365.

1 comment:

  1. Is this a tough teacher of your class? The problem is you have millions of great photos!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete